Stephen M. Ruiz
A senior-level UX Design and Digital Strategy Professional with a passion for innovative thinking, problem-solving and understanding the needs of the end-user. Dedicated to Diversity within the technology industry and cultural awareness in the design process.
Director, UX Design Lead and Digital Strategy (September 2009 – Present)
SMR Consulting (formerly Agentes Consulting) – Los Angeles, California
As the Principal of UX Design and Digital Strategy of this independent consultancy, I help people create better digital experiences through UX design consultation and direct interaction with clients.
To focus on the end-user and help clients develop a more robust digital strategy. Deep focus on usability of digital products. Leading the management of user experience projects by guiding, defining, and prioritizing usability improvements to align with the core objectives. Additionally, responsible for conducting appropriate usability research, including expert reviews, competitive analysis, task analysis, card sorts, user interviews, workflows, wireframes, user interface designs,and usability tests.
Major Consulting Engagements:
- Google – Leading UX/UI Design effort for the Supply Chain Management team
- Disney – UX Design on Disney’s international online market projection tool
- Dogtown Media – UX Design Consultant ( Ongoing engagement )
- Southern California Edison – As Interim Director of Digital Strategy for Quigley Simpson
- IEEE Computer Society – UX/UI Design on IEEE Computer Society’s website, Computer.org
- Saatchi & Saatchi – Sr. Information Architect
- J. Walter Thompson / Mirum – Interim Dir. of User Experience
- US Tech Support (formerly CyberDefender) – Interim Dir. of User Experience
Sr. Information Architect / Freelance Contractor (October 2007 – September 2009)
- Saatchi & Saatchi – Los Angeles, California
- Rapp Worldwide – Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas & Los Angeles, California
- IMC2 – Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas
- Hotels.com – Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas
- EDS – Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas
User Interface Design / Producer / Information Architect (September 1997 – October 2007)
Early career positions during the dotcom boom and beyond that laid the foundation for my career. Working with May & Co., Snowball (now IGN) and as an independent contractor I was given the opportunity to work on a variety of amazing projects.
As a User Interface Designer, Web Producer & Information Architect, I conceptualized and designed interfaces for a variety of clients, including:
- Kaiser Permanente
- IGN (formerly Snowball)
- Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
- Blockbuster Video
- The Art Institute
- Mclaren (formerly Citadon)
University of Oklahoma (1992 – 1994) Southern Methodist University (1995 – 1997)
● Communications (Emphasis on Advertising and Multimedia)
Studied advertising, marketing and strategic methods for taking relevant information from businesses to consumers in a way that boosts brand identify and promotes sales of products and services. Concentrated specifically on how digital media can achieve this goal.